Temporary Sponsored Parent visa UPDATE05.03.2019
On 1 March 2019 Minister for Immigration announced commencement of new Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa subclass 870 – sponsorship applications can be lodged from 17 April and the visa applications from 01 July 2019.
The visa will be capped and up to 15,000 new visas may be granted in each financial year. Once the cap is reached, no further visas will be granted until the next year commences on 01 July.
The visa provides parents with a new pathway to temporarily reunite with their children and grandchildren in Australia, while ensuring that taxpayers are not required to cover additional costs.
The sponsorship must be approved first before the visa application can be submitted.
Who can be a sponsor?
- Australian citizen/permanent resident or eligible NZ citizen who has been usually resident in Australia for at least 4 years
- 18 years or over
- meet the sponsor/parent relationship requirements
- have no adverse information and met any prior sponsorship obligations
- meet the minimum household income threshold
- provide police clearances
Only 2 parents per household can be sponsored at a time. Sponsors must agree with certain sponsorship obligations such as providing financial support and accommodation for their parent in Australia and others.
Who can apply for the visa?
Parent - the visa applicant must:
- be 18 years or over
- be outside Australia for at least 90 days if previously held Sponsored Parent visa
- provide evidence of access to funds and evidence of health insurance
- satisfy health, character and national security requirements
- have no outstanding public debt
Balance of Family test is not required (unlike for permanent Parent visa) meaning that a visa applicant is not required to have more than half of their children residing in Australia.
Visa holders will be generally subject to "no work" condition.
How long can the parent stay?
The visa allows parents to stay in Australia temporarily for a period of up to five years at a time. A parent must be outside Australia for at least 90 days before being eligible to apply for a further Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa and will be able to hold visas up to a total stay in Australia of 10 years, reflecting that the visa is a temporary visa and does not lead to permanent residence.
What is the cost?
The visa application charge is:
- $5,000 for a visa of up to three years’ duration; or
- $10,000 for a visa of up to five years’ duration.
The visa application charge is payable in two instalments, with one payment at time of application and the remainder paid prior to visa grant. The sponsorship application fee is $420.
If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident and thinking of sponsoring your parent(s) for this visa, do not hesitate to contact our Registered Migration agent to discuss the requirements and application process.